Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Flag Bearer

Debbie Low came to the microphone, “ And now what we have all been waiting for, the Flag Bearer is Donovan Tildesley!”

There was a loud cheer, the loudest from the swim team. I guided Donovan to the front of the room and we unfolded the flag to display to the team. Donovan is only 5 feet 7 inches tall and the audience could only see his eyes over the flag.

I have known him all his life and I have never seen him so genuinely surprised and emotional. He was literally shaking and I was concerned he would be incapacitated by the moment. After a short pause he regained his composure and was both eloquent and humorous in his speech.

It was only three weeks ago Donovan was informed that he was short listed to be the Flag Bearer for the 2008 Paralympic Team. The swim team had discussed a nominee and he had put his name forward. There are many swimmers worthy of the nomination, however most would be competing in the first 2 days. Donovan does not swim until day 3, volunteering would not adversely affect his performance.

The others named to the short list were Paul Gauthier, as well a multiple games participant and medalist in Boccia, and Chantal Petitclerc, competing in her 5 th games and a multiple gold medalist. Frankly I did not think he was in the running.

What followed next were interviews with the CBC, then a quick walk where the flag was actually raised in the International zone, followed by more interviews by phone.

By 10:30, he was ready for bed and I think we all were. Our Swim Canada press attaché, Erin Sulpher and CPC staff, Norma Revler and Judy Joseph-Black, had supported him throughout.

Although this honor can be a huge distraction and effect performances, I was struck by one of Donovan’s comments in his last interview, “I have never been in a better place mentally or physically in my life!
(Photos by coach Chad Webb and Erin Sulpher)

6 comments:

kstierhoff said...

Congratulations to Donovan! I'm so excited for you both! Best of luck next week!

Karen

betty said...

Congratulations! I heard it on the radio. they still need some help with the correct pronounciation of Tildesley but now there will lots of opportunity

gilcovitz said...

well done to you both, you must be feeling like one proud papa. I can just picture that moment when his name was announced!

all the best, we'll be watching...
Sally, David & the AOK team

gilcovitz said...

and yes, Tildes-ley, how much more can they massacre your name????

Gail said...

Hugh, I've never been so proud of my friend Donovan. I must have knocked some good sense into him that fateful meet when we were 10!!
I dont think he's got my PBs yet - but tell him 4.20 and 9.00 are the bar and I'll come out of retirement to defend them!!!
Enjoy the next two weeks, I'll be following from Ireland. Best of luck to you all.

Joan Carlile said...

That is fantastic, for both of you. How proud Donovan must be to not only be representing Canada, but carrying the flag for all his teammates. Good luck in the competitions and enjoy the journey. Best wishes, Corrie and Joan